Monday, February 27, 2006

Sanchi

We've arrived to Jalgaon by bus from Ajanta (me, an British girl named Jessica, and an Italian guy named Sergio), after travelling in the caves. The caves are really amazing, I've enjoyed more than in Ellora, also because we got to Ajanta early, so it was less hot, and also it takes less climbing. The caves are in different style, with wall paintings. They have so many details, there are hundreds of figures in each one, and every one has its part in the story. The guides in the place know all about it. There's this painting of Buddha, after his enlightment, coming as a monk to his wife and grown-up son, after not seeing them for years, begging for food. They were probably very surprised to see prince Gautama like this... We left the caves at about 15:00, and went to Jalgaon. My train was late at night, and so was Jessica's, so we decided to rent a room in a hotel and wait there, because waiting in the train station wasn't really pleasant. We went to this hotel, recommended by LP guide. The owner was so nice, willing to help in any problem.
So I left at nigt for Bhopal. Luckily for me, I looked in a train window at 9:00 am, and saw this English sign 'Bhopal' in the station, so I figured I should probably get off. I've went straight to the bus stand and finally, arrived here, at Sanchi, which is a quiet and peaceful village, located in a junction of two roads. The trip at bus took about two hours (it's only 40 km away, but the roads are not in the best shape).
It's so great to get out of the city mess at last. Although the facilities here are really basic, the "shanti" in this place really compesates for it. I have a room, finally did some yoga, first time since I've been in India. So good to hear all that KNACKS coming out of the back after the train and bumpy bus travelling! Today I won't to anything, just rest... Tomorrow at sunrise I'll go to see the famous Sanchi stupa (it's a pagoda, a place where Buddha's relic is), and maybe rent a bicycle and travel around a little bit. I'm going to stay here for at least two days, and then head for Khajuraho.

No comments: